Sep 17, 2011

5.30 am

sunrise: byron bay

Lately I have been making the effort to see the sunrise at my local beach. As soon as I walk over the little mound on the path and descend into the 'beach zone' my eyes are greeted with a refreshing warm glow that melts my body and mind in an instant. 

There is something so special about witnessing the rising and the setting of the sun. It is such a complete, beautiful, soothing vision to behold. It is natures signal for our bodies and brains to turn on and to turn off for the day. 

When I'm in the presence of the sun's rays whether it be 'am' or the 'pm' it has a profound effect on my being.

It has physiological benefits that have been proved by science. Seeing the Sunrise triggers the Pineal gland to produce the hormone Seratonin which causes us to slowly waken feeling refreshed and energised. Seeing the Sunset triggers heightened melatonin levels from the pineal gland allowing the body to enter a state of rest and to sleep. So watching the sunrise and the sunset creates a natural rhythm within the body, particularly benefiting our hormonal systems as well as providing much beauty, inspiration, clarity of thought and warmth. 

If you want to watch the sunrise too- and havn't in a while, the time it is rising at the moment is about 5.50am and getting earlier each day! 

My sunrise routine: I set my alarm for 5.30am at the moment (will need to start setting it earlier each day). I wake up, brush my teeth, have my Ayurvedic routine of warm water with fresh ginger, lemon and honey... then tippy toe out the front door and on the path to offer my Salutes to the Sun! 

my local beach...sunrise gold.